1. 40 minute breaks. It’s not enough time to do anything very productive, yet it’s just long enough to get bored. And it stretches out a day that could theoretically be much shorter otherwise. Not a fan.
2. Structure. Also #2 on my list of things I like about law school, structure is my enemy as well as my friend. Some days I would really just rather hang out in my pajamas, and as a law student I can barely do that even on the weekends. It’s starting to feel a little exhausting, but I try my best to console myself by reminding myself winter break is more than a month long.
3. Networking. It’s hard, it’s awkward, it’s important and I’m super bad at it. I know I’m not alone in my dread of networking events and small talk with strangers. Let me know your best tips and tricks, because I definitely need them.
4. Erratic temperatures. Much like Oregon, the law school has an extremely temperamental climate. Some classrooms are so cold that I’m literally shivering, and others are hot enough to make me sweat. Knowing how to dress is impossible — I recommend layers.
5. Civil procedure. This is an important class but I really don’t like it, to be honest. I just find it to be mind numbingly boring. I don’t even have anything to say about it because the subject matter is so bland.
6. Never sleeping. A very good night of sleep is five or six hours. Some nights I get even less. Most nights I have nightmares.
7. The strain on my marriage. I miss having time to hang out with my husband. We try to spend time together everyday, but sometimes I don’t see him until it’s almost time to go to bed since our schedules are opposite. Again, I’m looking forward to winter break, when we’ll be able to spend more quality time together.
Of course, there are other things I don’t like about law school, but this is the Internet. If you want to hear about the things I can’t disclose online, come say hi. I miss you all.